Meteorologists Forecast Major Hurricane to Hurl Towards the United States Next Week


A major hurricane threat has raised concern for its potential to hit the United States next week from Monday, September 26. A storm system is hovering off the northern coast of South America, which has been projected to navigate the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico. The same system could directly hit the US, breaking what appeared to be a relatively quiet hurricane season for the country this year.

The system is called “Invest 98L” by the National Hurricane Center (NHC). The weather phenomenon is currently located in the southeastern Caribbean Sea and remains disorganized due to its close proximity to the sub-continent; coupled by strong winds in its surrounding atmosphere, according to AccuWeather. If Invest 98L strengthens, it could take the next name “Hermine” on the list for the 2022 Atlantic season.

The US hurricane agency monitors other active storms like Hurricane Fiona, Tropical Storm Gaston, and Tropical Storm Newton. In recent days, Fiona has left a trail of destruction in the Caribbean region, heading towards Bermuda and killing several people in Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, and Guadeloupe. The hurricane also left thousands of people without power and damaged infrastructure.

Major Hurricane Next Week

(Photo : Photo by NASA via Getty Images)

AccuWeather meteorologists have started cautioning the potential danger brought by the tropical rainstorm earlier this week. In particular, weather forecasting company’s team warned of the following weather hazards from Sunday to Wednesday, September 25 to September 28:

  •  flooding rainfall
  •  destructive winds
  •  power outages
  •  coastal inundation
  •  dangerous seas

Meanwhile, Fox Weather meteorologist said there is a high likelihood that the 98L or the tropical disturbance near South America will develop into a stronger system in the coming days. Members of the Fox Forecast Center team named the system as “Disturbance 1.”

Also Read: Eastern Pacific Hurricane: Tropical Storm Kay Expected to Hit Mexico, Southwest US This Week

2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season

Prior to the ongoing Atlantic hurricane season, which spans from June 1 to November 30, US weather authorities warned of an above-normal hurricane period this year. In the past, scientists have attributed climate change and global warming to be the culprit of never-before-seen storms and other extreme weather events. In recent months, recurring heat waves have gripped the US with high temperatures.

In May 2022, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) reported that the ongoing La Niña weather pattern at that time and above-average Atlantic temperatures will set the stage for a busy 2022 Atlantic hurricane season.

The NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center (CPC), a part of the National Weather Service (NWS), predicted a 65% chance of an above-normal season, 25% chance of a near-normal season, and 10% chance of a below-normal season.

The prediction pertains to the likelihood of formation of hurricane or named storms. By estimate, 14 to 21 named storms could transpire; wherein six out of 10 could become hurricanes, and three to six can become major hurricanes.

In September 2021, Hurricane Ida made landfall in the state of Louisiana before pummeling eight other states, where media reporting said 91 people were killed due to its destructive power even than Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Damaging, lethal winds are the greatest hazard brought by Ida, which also led to widespread property damage and travel disruption.

Related Article: Atlantic Hurricane Season to Peak this Month


© 2022 NatureWorldNews.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.





Source link

Spread the love
Viral Time News

Viral Time News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *